Saturday, March 21, 2009

Chickens


They are finally growing up! Here is a picture of our teenage chickens...it seems like only yesterday (Christmas) when we brought them home. Seriously, I can't wait for them to lay eggs....I'm thinking this should happen in May. Looking at this clan, you might think they are cute (and for most part they are), but let me tell ya, all these hens are TROUBLE makers. They are ALWAYS trying to sneak out of the coop (it's a daily fight)! Last week I visited Kenzie's new school and upon my arrival home I found the hens enjoying themselves on the FRONT LAWN (they were probably there for hours)! I must not of latched the gate. Anyway, I was so embarrassed. First of all, I live in a CITY, so it's not that cool to have chickens (it least to the city folk) and It took me FOREVER to chase them back into the coop.....in fact, I even had an audience at the stop sign. Thanks for watchin-creepy guy in the red truck!


We accidentally ended up with 3 Roosters. I didn't really want a Rooster at all but Jeremiah talked me into having one Rooster (you know, just in case our cat Jack got hungry). On the way home from picking up the Chickens, Jeremiah told me that Jacob (Jeremiah's brother) gave us 2 Roosters just in case one died (I'm not an expert in the field, so we just went with it---honestly, I don't believe Jacob wanted to get stuck with an extra Rooster-can't blame him). And, about two weeks later after bringing the chicks home, we discovered a 3rd Rooster--the white Rooster---who might as well be a hen. I think he has major gender confusion issues. He looks crazy but he's such a wimp. This Rooster, in particular, really gets on my nerves. My next goal is to convince my husband that we do not need 3 Roosters...heck the cat seems to get along really well with the hens, I'm not sure we need any Roosters that wake me up at 4:30 EVERY MORNING. I'm starting to wonder if this is a plot from Jeremiah to make me get up early...hm?
On a chicken side note, I realized today that the Mesa Feed Store on Broadway has been ripping me off on chicken feed this whole time. You can find the same brand for half the price at the Pet store on Country Club and 1st street. I love it when I get a good deal...but at the same time I feel duped for paying way the heck too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment